Dec 18, 2009

Best Disney Songs?

Over at Unreality, they've published a list of what they believe to be the 10 best Disney songs of all time. Though the list is pretty good, I would have to differ on a few.

Theirs is:

  1. Can You Feel the Love Tonight (The Lion King)
  2. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
  3. Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)
  4. Kiss the Girl (The Little Mermaid)
  5. Circle of Life (The Lion King)
  6. Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid)
  7. You'll Be in My Heart (Tarzan)
  8. Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)
  9. You've Got a Friend in Me (Toy Story)
  10. I Won't Say I'm in Love (Hercules)

OK--pretty good list (though I wouldn't count any Pixar songs, especially before they were actually bought out by Disney), though terribly biased towards the "Disney renaissance". There are some classic Disney songs being left out here, including:

Cruella DeVille (101 Dalmatians)



I Wanna Be Like You (The Jungle Book)



Best of Friends (The Fox and the Hound)



Why Should I Worry? (Oliver and Company)



Baby Mine (Dumbo; quite possibly the saddest Disney song ever)



Bella Notte (Lady and the Tramp)



Cinderella (Cinderella)



When You Wish Upon a Star (Pinocchio)



Whistle While You Work (Snow White)



Of course, this list is not exhaustive. There are so many other classic songs ("I've Got No Strings", "Heigh-Ho", "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes", "The Bare Necessities", "Robin Hood and Little John"...I could go on and on). There are also a few in the Disney renaissance that were left out, most notably "Go the Distance" from Hercules, "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast, and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan.

I love Disney songs. Trying to come up with a list of the top ten ever would be near impossible. I'll stick with my 100 or so best ever.

No comments: